It just happened here recently. A dog was left in a hot car and died. The consequences can be deadly for your cat and you may face criminal charges depending upon local or state laws.
Remember, you are your pet’s guardian and as a responsible pet owner, you must protect your cat in the hot, summer months.
You may be tempted to leave just for a few minutes, but the effects can be devastating. Your cat can suffer brain damage or heat stroke. The hotter the day, the less time it will take for the car to overheat.
At just 70 degrees outside, it takes about ten minutes for a car’s interior temperature to rise to 90 degrees.
After 20 minutes, the temperature will reach 99 degrees.
Even cracking a window will not be sufficient. If your cat is traveling with you, make sure s/he has plenty of water and that your vehicle is air conditioned. If you have a long-haired cat, bring ice packs and put them under your cat.
Pets at greatest risk of heatstroke are young pets, elderly pets, overweight pets, pets with shortened muzzles (pugs, boxers, etc.), and those with thick or dark coats.
If a pet shows symptoms of heat stroke, s/he should be brought into the shade immediately and you must contact your veterinarian. You may be advised by your vet to provide small amounts of water to drink, apply a cold towel or icepack to the pet’s head, neck or chest. or immerse your dog in lukewarm water to begin lowering his body temperature prior to transport to the hospital.
Education is key! Do all you can to prevent a tragedy from occurring.